Apart from nuts, milk might also cause allergy due to lactase deficiency. The chocolate bars might also contain various fruit supplements such as cherries, plums, apples and others which can cause an allergic reaction. Soy is another ingredient of chocolate, which causes allergic reactions in children.
Allergic reaction to the chocolate
When a person is allergic to more than one ingredient in the chocolate, then the chocolate allergies might cause symptoms of asthma. The best way to know that you are suffering from chocolate allergy is by knowing about the most common symptoms of chocolate allergy. Here, are a few of the chocolate allergy symptoms which you should know.
- You start suffering from a sudden headache or migraine. This symptom happens usually due to an allergic reaction to dairy products or nuts, all of which are the common ingredients of the chocolate.
- Your skin starts developing reactions. The reactions could range from mild symptoms like slight redness of the skin and itching to more serious ones like swelling, rashes and hives. The skin reaction can occur in various parts of the body. For example, swelling and redness can affect the face, itching can impact the lips and mouth and itching can occur in the rectal area.
- You start suffering from diarrhoea, other gastrointestinal symptoms and abdominal pain.
- You start experiencing respiratory symptoms such as coughing and sneezing.
- In some extreme cases, you start experiencing a drop in blood pressure and may even feel lightheaded and faint.
- You are not being able to focus properly in your work because you are not being able to think clearly.
- After eating chocolate your eyesight might blur suddenly.
- After eating the chocolate you could have trouble breathing.
How to avoid an allergic reaction to chocolate?
To avoid consuming chocolate is the best way to avoid a chocolate allergy. To manage the symptoms of chocolate allergy, you should take antihistamines. Antihistamines help to relieve from several symptoms of chocolate allergy. If the symptoms of chocolate allergy are affecting your respiratory system, then you need bronchodilators.
Chocolate allergy can be prevented by understanding chocolate allergy well and its symptoms and by taking help from a physician. By doing this you can avoid those ingredients of chocolate that trigger your allergic reactions.
If you are concerned about chocolate allergy then you should know about it well and should avoid eating chocolate altogether. You should always check the ingredients of chocolate before having it to avoid allergy. If you think that some of the ingredients of the chocolate are causing your problem, then you should avoid eating it.